Thursday 29 July 2010

The Cosmic Problem, how I solved it (almost).

Waking early this morning, bright in mind but lazy in body, I thought to while away the time before I got up by solving a problem that is foxing the cosmologists of today.  Nothing can match the nest of a comfortable bed to the fostering of a straightforward answer to a large question.  I got it in five minutes.

I asked, why do the outermost bits of the cosmos speed up instead of slow down as I would expect.  When a bullet is sent on its way by an explosion, its speed and the distance it travels becomes immediately effected by gravity drawing it down towards the earth, and by the material through which it travels, such as air, metal, clothing, flesh and bone. Even if there is nothing it its way I would not expect it to move faster and faster - but the outer reaches of the cosmos do just that.

My understanding of the Big Bang is that it was not unlike the showy bit of a firework when it bursts onto the night sky in an expanding sphere of coloured sparks. As the initial thrust of the explosion loses its power the bits and pieces of burnt paper and cardboard begin to fall back toward the earth. Slowly at first, then quicker and quicker as gravity takes hold.

Burrowing back into the pillow -, I said to myself, it is plain common sense to infer that there’s something outside our cosmos that is pulling the outermost nebulae and stars away from us at ever increasing speeds.

Since cosmologists factor in Dark Matter because they can’t make their sums work without it, even though they are not sure what it is, what it looks like, or smells and tastes of, then they should also factor in a constant for HHG-Matter*, this being the attraction force outwith our cosmos.  Although I use the phrase ‘Big Bang’, the actual event might have been quite a small big bang when seen from the greater perspective.  It’s not difficult to imagine lots of little big bangs going off like fireworks all over the place each pulling and jostling the others, like they might be at a party of adolescents…at which point, as our planet bowled along in a bewildering number of directions, consequent distortians, all at a frightening velocity through space,  I slipped into a secure and happy sleep...

*: HHG= Huge Humongous Gravity

No comments:

Post a Comment