Tuesday 28 September 2010

my paintings now arrived


Here are two light-hearted painting I did some years back.   

I find looking at people looking at pictures in art galleries as rewarding as what is on show.

The 'Flintshire' send up, is a nostalgic egg tempera painting I did when living in Aberdeen. They are in memory of those wonderful railway posters in the 1920s-30s, and of the magical Russel Flint - he of the fabulous nudes - but even of much better landscapes!

Both are about quarto size if not smaller. I like egg tempera. A lovely quiet medium. Acrylic is OK, not as good as oils for me. but I use acrylic a lot becuase it is handy, especially if  used by putting dabs of the stuff on kitchen baking paper,placed on top of old fashiond blotting paper, placed on a tray in which a little water has been added. The paint stays usable for sometime - days even if the tray is covered in between whiles.

Yesterday - I couldn't open these pictures and got cross - bingo, today, here they are - Wow!

Now am painting one of my mythological pictures - Orestes in the hands of the Eumenides, poor devil - I find now that I think more about the ancient greek drama than I do about any other - shall have a go at the Trojan Women next - the story is so full of meaning with today's displaced, killed, raped people haunting our daily news

No comments:

Post a Comment