Monday 7 February 2011

Love is

On my return home from London last week, where my partner and I had been to see Terrance Rattigan's play "Less Than Kind" at the Jermyn Street Theatre, I turned round as I was stepping into the metro, Northern Line, and, for a split second came eye to eye with one of two women who were in each other's arms. 
They touched hands as if their fingers were made of a gossamer of great value.  They were in another world.  The one who looked straight at me didn't see me, even though I could have reached out and touched her.  They could have been out of a modern production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  As soon as I got home I spent some time trying to recapture their moment of rapture, first with charcoal and fountain pen and then with colours on the pc. I changed their ethnicity.  It was a moment of really super theatre stronger even than the excellent play I had just seen...and why? well, I suppose, I didnt have to suspend my disbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment