Monday 1 March 2010

William Shakespeare – Dark Phoenix by Barrie Hesketh


William Shakespeare – Dark Phoenix by Barrie Hesketh

A novel: historical fiction


When I first began work on the first draft of the book, I felt confident I knew my Shakespeare.  But I was wrong.  On re-reading the canon, I recognised that here was a man of flesh and blood, no longer a mere cipher or, indeed, a myth. 

Written from the perspective of an actor – and set against the background of the Essex Rebellion – I describe how iron enters William’s soul as he comes to terms with the death of his eleven-year-old son, Hamnet.  Spanning the years 1596 to 1601, the book traces Shakespeare’s process of self-discovery until, supported by his friends and strengthened by experience, he is on the threshold of creating the profound works of his later years…

Download sample chapter (PDF) - Chapter One: William Shakespeare - Dark Phoenix 

No comments:

Post a Comment