Friday 21 December 2012

Glaucoma in painting

My glaucoma affects the sight in my right eye more than in the left.  I notice it only if I close my left eye that otherwise compensates for the missing section of my sight.  The picture I have been working on recently cheats so that into an imaginary autumn landscape with scudding leaves there is too the shape of the blind spot marked out in grey. This I left it as in the original charcoal, fixed, so it doen't smudge, because its graininess is very like the real thing.  Surprise suprise -  I connect this to a passage in Shakespeare when, in The Merchant of Venice, Young Launcelot, about to tease his father, says 'Oh, heavens, this is my true-begotten father who, being more than sand-blind, high-gravel-blind, knows me not (2.2.31).

The thoughts on Hamlet like Topsy keep growing, but I think is now almost ready to be decked out in better English than I can manage, which means I shall talk it over with my partner, Philippa who's eye and ear for a good phrase matches the cat's pyjams...

No comments:

Post a Comment